Tuesday, November 08, 2005

IZZY'S B-A-D WEEK


In our family, we have a variety of medical diagnosis: Oppositional Defiance Disorder, Depression, Aspbeger's Syndrome, ADHD just to name a few. This is par for the course with our adopted ones. You deal with it, you get on with life.

Now Izzy (the one with our genes) is throwing me for a loop. Let me explain.......

Last week I took Izzy to a babysitter for the first time. He was fine when I picked him up, no big deal. The next day he went to my friend The Analyzer's house (first time) for a few hours while I volunteered at the school. Oh boy..............this is where the fun begins!

Since that day and every day afterward (7 days to be exact), I have experienced a whole new Izzy. The child is obsessed with not leaving the house. He wakes up with nightmares about going to the Analyzer's house. Izzy cries several times a day out of the blue about going to the Analyzer's house. I asked my dear friend if anything happened while Izzy was there. What could have completely freaked him out? Analyzer recalled nothing out of the ordinary occurring. He was shown the guinea pigs, he played with her four and five year old kids. Izzy ate candy and watched the movie Toy Story.

So not only is Izzy freaked out......I am too. Izzy is afraid to leave the house. He doesn't want to go to Me-Ma's. Izzy doesn't want to go to the store or walk down to the Mercantile for a lollipop. Izzy has turned in to a over-night Agoraphobic. This picture is of Izzy crying and yelling, "I don't want to go to The Analyzer's house!" We were playing blocks at the time. He looks so sad.

Now I've been cruising the Internet trying to figure out what's wrong. Most of the websites say that children who behave this way are experiencing "Separation Anxiety Disorder". The disorder part comes in when the child is having panic attacks or crying about something that is not currently happening. They are extremely stressed about a situation that is not occurring.

If you happen to be Way Down In Mayberry and see some super-stressed out Mom with a screaming toddler. Be assured it's Tallulah and Izzy going for a stroll.

No comments: