But before you get your knickers in a twist and think that I am going all Big Love/Mormon cult on you, let me give you the top five reasons that I believe in polygamy (and polyandry too!)
1. Freely consenting, adult, non-abusive, marriage committed people should have the right to marry more than one person if they choose to do so. Okay, I admit....the woman pictured above clearly married a bunch of gay men.
2. With the divorce rate so high, plural marriage may just keep those divorce numbers down. Jim Bob isn't looking for another woman when he has three at home to keep sexually busy.
3. Company and a clean house. Haven't you ever wanted a friend to hang out with you all day and clean out the pantry or organize the linens? You would have a built in woman who helped you keep the house clean, take care of children and run errands. And if you had multiple husbands, the lawn would always be mowed, the garage cleaned and very little on your honey-do list. Not to mention the HUGE increase in your bank funds with several men going to the office every day and bringing home big, fat paychecks.
4. Sex. It sure would be nice to count on certain days of the week for sex with your man. Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday while the other wives had different days? Totally. Every night? Fugettaboutit. If you had multiple husbands, you may have to purchase extra slip-n-slide....unless of course they are gay.
5. The dating scene would completely change. No more settling for less. No more getting discouraged because all of the good guys/girls are living together or married. You wouldn't have to speed date or dweeb date.
Of course there are factors that could potentially be harmful to the polygamy/polyandry movement. Mainly jealousy. Men and women would have to be completely comfortable sharing their spouse.
Could you do it?