Thursday, December 04, 2008

SPACE CADET

Have you ever been driving and arrived somewhere and have no idea how you got there? That's me. Once I slip behind the wheel, I zone out. I ignore children fighting in the back seat, I can't hear the radio and oh.....I can't see anything that may be in the road. Especially those exceptionally large brown, furry animals with horns on their heads. What are they called?




Oh yes........deer.

Living Way Down In Mayberry is a blessing. We are surrounded by beautiful foothills outside of The Metropolis. It is peaceful, quiet and has its fair share of deer. I know this because often in the early morning I can look out my window and see a herd or two eating my neighbors flowers and plants. heh heh

I also know we have deer because I nearly run over them on a regular basis.

One evening last month I was driving home with Bubby in the front seat and two of the children in the back. Bubby shouts out "DEER"! I slammed on my breaks in the middle of the road practically setting off the air bags exclaiming, "WHERE? WHERE?" And damned if it wasn't right in the middle of the road...just standing there looking at me. The only person that had a "deer in the headlights" look was me. The deer just meandered off the road probably wondering what the hell I was doing.


Last year it was daylight and I was driving. Bubby and all of the kids were in the van. Bubby yelled "DEER"! I kept on driving looking around yelling, "WHERE? WHERE?" And I kid you not, Bubby said, "Look out the left side of your window." And there was the deer galloping along right next to my car door with his head practically inside my window.


I never hear the end of that one.


Any advice for staying in the moment while driving?

6 comments:

Mama Wheaton said...

No advise here. I am constantly on auto pilot and my kids love to tease me for it.

Jennboree said...

ha! Running along side you. I think the deer community like to mess with you.

We were in the Grand Canyon going down the windy and deadly mountains when I had to start yelling DEER! DEER! to my friend's zoned out husband. I saw all our lives flash before my eyes that day.

I've run over a squirrel's tail that flopped by itself in the road but no deaths so far.

~Molly~ said...

I'm the deer spotter in our family, I point them out even when I am driving!! When we lived in Oklahoma I'd drive my husband to the brink when I'd ask if he saw that taratula we went over! Or dung beetle, or snake on the side of the road, or the hawk on a phone wire. Wildlife catches my eye for some reason.

A few weeks ago we came across a dead wild hog on the road. An hour later it was gone, they are good eatin'!!

Molly

Anonymous said...

Never ever ever drive alone.

Jodi said...

I'm the deer spotter too. Don't think I'll ever hit one but once I hit town, I'm just like you. I often wonder if I've run any red lights cause I don't remember going through them. Scary isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I have to say that whenever someone sitting next to me while I am driving starts yelling something at me I totally to into an alternative world where if the person is screaming "RIGHT" I automatically go left. I can relate to the other universe zone of driving.