Wednesday, January 25, 2006

WE'RE SCREWED


I was watching Oprah yesterday. She had an expert from disease control on the show talking about bird flu. Mr. O explains that it is just a matter of time before the bird flu mutates to become a flu that can be passed from human to human. It will then become a Pandemic. I don't like the word Pandemic. It scares the living shit out of me. I don't like living in fear.

So after four days of Izzy having a high fever and cough (see Sheltered Life blog), I decided to take him in to the doctor today. No, I didn't think he had the bird flu. But yesterday's show scared me enough that I may become the next hypochondriac Way Down In Mayberry.

Turns out that Izzy has Pneumonia. That can be serious in toddlers. So Izzy has to be watched closely, is on a strong course of antibiotics and has to be coaxed in to drinking as much as possible.

If you were reading my blogs in December/early January, I had Pneumonia also. God, between the two of us, we would be totally screwed if the bird flu came to Mayberry tomorrow. Immune system? What immune system?

I guess in the meantime, I will stock our garage with food and water and buy a gazillion little face masks to stockpile. You can never be too safe........right?

No comments: