Friday, August 12, 2005

VIOLENT FEMMES

I attended a concert last night with friends from Way Down In Mayberry. A bunch of us trying to relive the 80's.
The music was terrific, the performance was phenomenal and I have a few observations:

1. I'm old. There tended to be two distinct groups at the concert. The old people trying to relive their youth and the young adult and teenager crowd.

2. I love to people watch. The young'uns came out with their best "I'm a tortured teen" outfits complete with piercings, tattoos and lots of spiky metal stuff.

3. I've noticed that the Violent Femmes really do attract a certain type of person. Their music was known for appealing to teens in angst. When observing the younger crowd, I realized that there's not much difference between when I was a kid and now. Teens still struggle with the same issues (opposite sex, same sex, drugs, alcohol, finding ones self etc.)

4. Guys are complete jerks and get more belligerent the more they drink. I do not find getting picked up on the least bit of a compliment when in a bar. If I were at the zoo with my younger four children in my Walmart sweats, yes....it would be a compliment.

5. I'm surprised at how many parents would take their young children (like ages 4-11) to a concert in a bar setting. Not only are there lots of drunks and a mosh pit, but lyrics like "Why can't I get just one f#@k?" is not entirely appropriate, don't you think?

All in all, I had a great time. I need to get out more and see more concerts. Watching musicians excel in their craft is inspiring.

No comments: