Tuesday, July 19, 2005

SHE'S GOT ME BEAT

My friend the analyzer way down here in Mayberry has her own blog. She talks about the good ol' days when Poison Control was on her speed dial. She has four little ones that are very close in age.

Yesterday, one of her not so little ones Conner who is seven or eight stopped by. Conner and my son Christian like to play army men. When they are not playing army men, they are shooting bad guy army men on the Xbox. When Conner comes over, they are quiet and very very busy in the basement. Conner came upstairs yesterday and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hey Conner! What's up?
Conner: Mrs. Hall?
Me: Yes......
Conner: You know that fly strip thingie in the basement?
Me: Um....yes.
Conner: Is it poisonous?
Me: Yes, I think so. Why Conner?
Conner: Well I thought it was a fruit roll up so I ate some.

Huh? I was dumbfounded. I didn't speak for maybe thirty seconds. My mouth just dropped open as i was calculating everything in my head. First I thought Conner was joking. Was there really any way that an intelligent child like Conner decided that the fly strip looked tasty? Was he really that hungry? There were maybe twenty five flies on that strip.

After the initial shock, I then went in to panic mode. Rushing around, calling Poison Control, ripping things out of the cupboard trying to find the bottle of Ipecac.

It turns out everything was fine. Conner just had a small taste. The fly strip was not made of poison like I thought but out of some sticky rubber cement material. They probably don't make them out of poison anymore because kids keep thinking they are fruit roll ups or some other tasty morsel.

So Ms. Analyzer.....you got me beat in the kids poisoning themselves department. Now they just help themselves to the plethora of poisons in my house. Great.....

No comments: